Book Objectives & Lesson Plans
Answering Questions Chapters 14-15
Character Identification Chapters 1-6
Chapter Vocabulary - Chapters 16-18
Answering Questions Chapters after 23
Chapter Vocabulary - Chapters 9-11
I. Answer the following questions.
- Who were the six Rocket Boys?
- Who did Sonny take to the Christmas formal?
- Who was Sonny's piano teacher?
- What was Sonny's brother's name?
- Who was the union leader?
- Who let Sonny watch the skies with his telescope?
- What gifts did Sonny's dad give him for Christmas?
- Who was Sonny's science teacher?
- What two words did Quentin use to describe good situations?
- Who were the Germans who helped with the mine engineering?
- Who did Sonny get the moonshine from to make his zincoshine?
- In what part of the house did Sonny build his rockets?
- What book from the Bible played an important part in Coalwood Way?
II. Write the word TRUE or FALSE in front of the statement.
_______ 1. Mrs. Dantzler was happy when Sonny quit taking piano lessons.
_______ 2. Sonny was very athletic.
_______ 3. Quentin spoke in very technical language.
_______ 4. Billy quit school and joined the Navy.
_______ 5. Sonny's mom was painting a beach mural on the wall in their kitchen.
_______ 6. Sonny's mom went to Myrtle Beach for Christmas.
_______ 7. Ginger went to the Christmas formal with Sonny.
_______ 8. Sonny got straight "A's" on his report card in the fall term of his senior year.
_______ 9. Coalwood didn't have a Christmas pageant in 1959.
_______10. Cuke was never found after he murdered Dreama.
_______11. Dreama and Elsie were from Gary.
_______12. There was no snow in Coalwood for Christmas, 1959.
_______13. Chipper arrived back home at Christmas. He was living in the Christmas tree.
_______14. Little Richard's church got new windows on the front of the church.
_______15. Dreama was buried in the cemetery behind Little Richard's church.
III. Answer the following questions completely.
- Compare Coalwood and Parsons. How are they alike and what differences exist between them?
- How do you think Sonny and the other Rocket Boys became so successful?
- Do you feel Sonny valued education? Give examples from Coalwood Way to support your answer.
- Is Sonny's mother, Elsie, like your mother? Describe the likenesses and differences.
- Would you have liked Sonny to be your friend? Explain your answer.
- How were Sonny's excellent writing skills starting to show in Coalwood Way?
- Should Sonny have felt badly that he didn't do more to help Dreama? Why or why not?
- What is the theme of Coalwood Way?