I am using Rocket Boys in my Freshman Seminar class at a state University, and I wanted to send you a copy of the first quiz for the book.
I thought it might be useful for others who are considering this book for the classes. BMJ
Rocket Boys, QUIZ #1 Fill in the Blank or Short Answer: 2 points each
1. Homer Hickam, Jr. lived in ______________.
A: Coalwood, West Virginia
2. This town had one primary industry which was basically responsible for the fate of the town. What was that industry? Be specific.
A: Coal Mining
3. Homer Hickam was inspired to build rockets in 1957, when the Soviet Union launched the first artificial satellite into Earth's orbit. What was the name of that satellite?
4. In Homer's town, the only thing more important to the townspeople, including Homer's father, than the aforementioned industry was:
5. As the story develops, Homer becomes involved with two specific people and, as a result, begins to discover himself and see himself beyond his town. Name one of those two people.
A: Miss Riley
6. Who was "Miss Olga?"
A: What Elsie Hickam called Olga Coal, the company the town worked for
TRUE OR FALSE: 2 POINTS EACH
7. _____ The "tipple" was the unofficial name of the country store at which Homer and his friends relaxed after school.
8. _____ The launching of Homer's first rocket was only a moderate success, as the rocket achieved some lift, but fizzled out only "thirty or so feet" in the air.
9. _____ Homer attended school at Big Creek High School in a town called War.